Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Medusa at the Grand Palais

Medusa at the Grand Palais:



I've been enjoying spending time with my friend Susan here in Paris. We've had some fabulous meals and made whirlwind visits to several museums. No photos, sorry. The weather has been pretty wretched - more like winter than spring. We have had a good time sitting in covered patios that have space heaters while we drink coffee and watch people rush by with umbrellas. We even had five minutes of hail on Friday.

Tomorrow, far too early in the morning, my husband and I leave for Florida. Oh, do I ever want that sun. I'm not sure how much posting I'll get done there - eek, dial-up.

I totally love Kristin LaFlamme's great Log Cabin with a Twist. First, there's the great liberated log cabin quilt that she'd made with awesome colors: very light and sparkly. Then she's added embroideries of her daughter's drawings. It's a delightful, inspiring quilt.

I've recommended before that you go visit Meg's blog Quilt Words. Well go over there again because she's shared the most lovely quilt she's made using thrift store wools and silks. The quilt itself is incredible and she's just done a great job explaining how she made it. It looks so antique and hey, it's another log cabin quilt.

Jenny Bowker pictured some lovely Egyptian embroideries in her 26 March post to Postcards from Cairo. I've always called the placename where these embroideries come from Akhmim and you can see some of mine here.

Eileen posted a couple of peeks at one of Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston's new quilts called Booby Hatch, which they've made for their new book. Additionally, Eileen will print out the comments made about their books and pass them along to the two authors (since they're not wired themselves). You can tell Freddy and Gwen how much you love them, as well as let Eileen know how much you appreciate the book. It's great to see that some of my friends have commented on Eileen's blog already.

That's it for me. I'm going to continue to be somewhat scarce in blogland. Take care.

14 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Have a wonderful trip, and may the sun shine the whole time you're there! I followed your link to Kristin LaFlamme's site -- love her Quiltstadt, too!

jovaliquilts said...

Forgot to say -- saw your "article" in the Bent Needle! Neat!

Cher said...

great links as usual-have a fabulous time in the sun...

Clare said...

Thanks for all the lovely links. Have a great time in Florida. Hopefully by the time you get back this ghastly, foul, horrible, disgusting, wet, cold and generally all round grotty weather will be over.

Did you go to Le Vrai Paris? Just wondered cos you mention patio heaters.

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful trip. Boy, I could sure use a shot of Florida right about now.

Anonymous said...

Tonya, it's hard for me to imagine that Florida is preferable to Paris! But we're tired of gray skies in Minnesota too. Have a great trip.
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Have a save trip and a wonderfull time in Florida!

McIrish Annie said...

Funny, your pic of Medusa captures my mood perfectly today ! Grr!

have a super duper trip to Florida. I will send mucho sun thoughts to you as I know how much you love the soleil!

Lily Mulholland said...

How funny that a Canberra quilter is living in Cairo, the place you recently left -- Jenny Bowker is one of the five artists in tACTtile - a local contemp quilt group whose quilts I adore! Small world really, isn't it?

Have a lovely (warm) time in Florida :)

Lori said...

Have fun in the sun!

Holly said...

Soak in that sun. Your weather has matched mine here.

Magpie Sue said...

I can identify with Medusa today myself! Thanks for the pic. I may come back just to visit her and see what she inspires.

Hope you have a great time in Florida. Soak up some of that sun and warmth for me too, will ya? (I'm stuck in the Out Islands with the Fool and Tom/Fitz, hacking a dragon out of a glacier!)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Hi, sounds like Florida will be a very welcome treat!!
Enjoyed your pictures of Paris, as always, safe travelling, Tracey

julieQ said...

Looks like lovely sightseeing...see you around in blogland when you get back!!