Monday, November 19, 2007

Chartreuse and Red Trees

I finally got some sewing done - woohoo. I'm playing with a color combination that I NEVER would have imagined myself liking just a few years ago. But here it is, chartreuse and red.

I blame Siobhan, who made a fun 12 days of christmas appliqued quilt in these colors a few years ago. Of course I can't find a picture of it on her blog. But believe me, it's fun and bright. But I still never thought that *I* would use these colors. And then of course Sio gave me the striped chartreuse and red fabric a couple of years ago. So I've finally lost my struggle against these happy colors.

I had fun playing with the trees, making different sized blocks. I'm trying to really work on my value - I usually use way too many dark dark fabrics and not enough light. I'm going to make a few more trees and may do some words as well. This will be a wallhanging.

Pokey, of course.
My sweetie and I watched While You Were Sleeping. Just love that movie. Great chemistry between Bill Pullman and Sandra Bullock. I worked on yet more gift bags while we watched. I'm determined to have a big stockpile of them by the end of the year.

The transit strike continues here, but so far no real effect on us. I'm not venturing far from our apartment though. I don't want to get stuck far from home in the inevitable rain. According to the news, the whole strike mess is bound to get worse this week with all sorts of other public sector workers going out. Gee, thanks.

13 comments:

Donna said...

may your forest continue to grow as the strike continues... You're getting a lot of contrast between the trees and the background -- when I look back at your other work I see what you mean by favoring the darks, but they really do work... With brights someplace to "rest the eyes" is so important -- that's what I've found your darks do for me (let me slow down rather then "scream" at me)

Quilts And Pieces said...

oooo - I like the colors! Very fun! I went to see Bill in Real Life this weekend. When that gets on dvd you have to rent it - it was really funny!

atet said...

You say chartruse, I say lime green -- and since I firmly believe lime green is a neutral, all I can say about your combos is Wooo Hooo! I have some Christmas fabric that has these colors with a splash of pink thrown in. Love, love, love it and have been looking for a project to use it in. Hmmmn....

Sandy's Quilter's Block said...

I just love your cat, Pokey. She reminds me of Charlie, my cat when I was a teen. It brings back memories for me whenever you post her picture. Thanks.
I love your trees. The colors are fab.

Joyce said...

Strikes seem to be a part of living in France. Love the red and green forest.

Kristin Shields said...

Fabulous trees! I made more words last night and they are for a different quilt. I can't stop thinking about all the words I want to make now! You've created a monster!

ForestJane said...

Love the trees... of course, being a forest-jane, what would you expect?

Pokey wants a tree HER size, stuffed, that she can climb on and hide under, plz. :)

The position looks very familiar, butt parked on a pile of fabric... lol

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get home and start my own forest...thanks again for the tutorial. I love while you were sleeping, it is one of my favorite 'quilting' movies....you're right about the chemistry..ahhhh

Susan said...

Your trees are so cheery! That's one of my favorite movies, too. I have watched it over and over, along with Only You, Pretty Woman, You've Got Mail, Notting Hill, etc.. etc.. etc.

sewprimitive karen said...

Love that movie, including the locales which are so obviously and enchantingly Chicago.

Lily Mulholland said...

I confess to being a huge fan of While you were sleeping! I get a little tear in my eye every time I watch it!

Have fun playing with more trees :)

Carol E. said...

I love that movie, too. I had fun scrolling back and looking at your quilted bags. I get a big kick out of the idea of making a bag for your own gift - the tag could say anything you want (e.g. to my precious, one of a kind Tonya). I might have to do yet another Tonya Tutorial.

Holly said...

The transit strike actually made the news over here in Oregon (could've been national news). I thought, "that's what Tonya said" when it was being reported.

I LOVE While You Were Sleeping. One of my favorite movies.

I relinquished a 3/4 finished intricately cross-stitched Christmas stocking I've been working on for the past 17 years to my daughter in favor of future Tonya type gift bags. I think I'd actually finish those once I got myself started :)