None of my flower shapes are precise -- instead they are bumpy here and flat there. For the Devil's Head and the Eyeball, I just drew the shapes freehand with my chalk directly onto the fabric and then added the 1/4" seam allowance as I cut them out.
For this Spikey Spider Flower, I drew a design onto paper, then cut the shapes out and used those as my templates.
I took my inspiration for this flower from the quilt shown in this picture in my idea notebook.
My version came out partly upside down (my spikes go around the top, the ones in the pic go around the bottom). I cut out the pieces almost two years ago and didn't even really think about if there was a right way or a wrong way to put them on.
If you are at all interested in designing your own flower baskets, I highly recommend Gwen Marston's Four Block Applique Quilts book. Unlike most of the books I recommend, this one is still in print. Her quilts are traditional, but she gives you all the tools and techniques you need to play.
The kitties have been really sweet lately. The more I lay around, the more they lay around on me. It's a vicious circle of love.