I didn't worry at all about where the posts ended up in relation to the 4-patch block. When things got too big somewhere, I just chopped off the extra. I love how working with all the bulk and not being too fussy led to some bendy bits in the blocks, which wouldn't happen if we had really stressed over the piecing and ironed after every seam and basically been finicky. Utility quilts aren't meant to be finicky.
I am laughing at myself as I write this, because compared to Bonnie I AM finicky. I liked having the scraps and strips ironed before using them and rather than sewing on a scrap that is all uneven, I'd take it over to the cutting board and make a clean edge with my rotary cutter. I wouldn't make it a 90 degree angle or anything, but straight. Not Bonnie, she just makes it work - one reason she's so productive and her blocks are so much fun. I wouldn't have thought that I'd ever turn out to be the anally retentive sewer in any group situation.
I was trying to explain in my post the other day about how we started out with an advantage of having pre-sewn strings to use. Well these are what I was talking about in the picture below. They range in width to a maximum of 1.5". You can see how they were used in the bottom right of the block above and in the middle of the top two blocks. That 4-patch block above is 6" finished. 6"-ish anyway.
By the way, this is the rest of the picture from my most recent post. Pokey was stretching backwards to say hello to Howler. Howler was named completely and totally because of all the noise he made on the way home from the vets, which was our initial introduction. A friend who takes care of feral cats had caught two cats and the black one just moaned and squalled at the office, in the car and in my apartment. My initial plan was just to keep just the friendly sweet orange kitty (Habibi) but the vet thought the two cats were brothers and brother Howler needed a weeks' worth of antibiotics. Well surely we could keep him for a week to give him his meds... Famous last words.