Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Crumbs

These blocks are all from my crumb top. Yes, I suspect when we were each choosing our blocks, I went for the ones with the brightest colors and Bonnie went for contrast. But trust me, she has lots of brights in hers too.

I'm with Mary, I like these crumb quilts that have hints of blocks as well as the letters. Before we started piecing I did a lot of looking at crumb quilts, deciding what worked for me and what didn't. I loved how Bonnie's Best Things in Life went together - one of the best quilts ever. What appeals to me in that one is the orphan blocks -- or bits of real blocks -- mixed in with the crumbies. And I liked the use of sashing rather than alternating plain blocks with pieced blocks.

In this particular pic, there's a kaleidescope, letters, and two stars.

Look at the wild mix of fabrics in here. I loved going through Bonnie's scrapbag and hearing about where some of the fabrics had come from, what quilts she'd used them in. I certainly remember swiss dots and little hearts from the 70s and my Mom's early fabric purchases. I love the little foot featured in this pic. Bonnie got the block that had the hand - very fitting for a massage therapist.

This kaleidescope with black, pink and lime was one of my very favorite blocks. It's still a kaleidescope even tho it's wonky. That fabric with the black background and vivid hearts actually came out of Bonnie's scraps, not mine. She has brights in her stash, believe me.

Love the broken dishes here.

I included this particular pic to show you one of the blocks I was calling "kites" (the lower block). Bonnie started with an irregularly shaped scrap and just sewed pieces around it all log cabiny although it's hard to tell that after it gets cut down to size.

I'd never have been able to come up with the fabrics in this quilt on my own, believe me. But if you want to do this kind of project, swap scraps with friends, go through the garbage cans after sewing classes (I am amazed of what large chunks of fabric people will throw away) and let people know that you will take any scrap that will sew up to half an inch (or whatever).

Enough of that. I'm doing great so long as I sit still. As soon as I start moving, it's another story. Wheezing, dizzy, leg pain and just hard to move. I feel like I'm 80-years-old with emphysema and likely to fall down at any moment. I'm surprised at how awake and alert I am - I expected to be sleepy, but that's not as big of an issue as all these other things. I have to make my third trip to the mailbox for the day and that will be it for exercise today.

On the good news side, I am getting a bit of quilting down. Hurrah.

To clarify things, hubby isn't actually cooking in Paris, except for ramen noodles and eggs. He's discovered the shop Picard which sells frozen meals (which sound pretty gourmet) and having wonderful lunches at the cafeteria at work. He has found the boulangerie (bakery) as well. He'll have the neighborhood all figured out by the time I get there.

I've worn myself out now. Don't get concerned if I don't pop up much over the next while. I'll be fine, just not real active. My whole body scan is scheduled for the 17th and I should be able to do the radioactive idoine nuker after that. Sometime after that I get to go back onto my thyroid meds and boy and I looking forward to that. Ya'all take care.

28 comments:

Judy said...

Yikes you do sounds a bit rough. Hold onto stuff so if you get dizzy you don't wabble over. Sit and quilt. Love the blocks, and love to see all the tiny parts and pieces that make them up!

quiltpixie said...

hope sitting and quilting continues to be a soothing activity you can engage it. Sounds like the dizziness is very dibilitating... thankfully there is an end date coming for it :-)

I love seeing the details and hearing about the farics and making of the crumbs... its so neat to see others scraps and hear their stories...

Quilts And Pieces said...

Thanks for the closeups of the blocks - they are just so fun!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing more details of this wonderful quilt. I could look at it all day. Take care of yourself...

Elaine Adair said...

Good to hear from you, and happy you're feeling like quilting, if nothing else.

Joyce said...

I love the crumb quilt. I think sharing scraps is a great idea. I find my same scraps turning up again and again. Gets boring after awhile.
Hang in there and take good care of yourself. You'll be in Paris in no time.

Shelina said...

Thank you for all of these closeup pictures of the crumb top. I am seriously considering making one once my unfinished projects are out of the way.
I hope your health concerns can be taken care of quickly and that you get back to normal soon. I really miss when I'm not "normal".

Tracey in CT said...

The quilt looks great! I'm sure that you and Bonnie had a blast playing together.
I hope you are feeling better soon.

Lois R. said...

Thanks for the details and closeups of the blocks. There are some great fabrics in there.

I am so sick of my scraps! I am working on finding somebody to swap scraps with...

Thanks for the update on your health. Take care.

Lynn Dykstra said...

It has been so much fun watching your and Bonnie's quilts. The marriage of your scraps made a better mix and great quilts.

Helen said...

Hey Tonya, take care. I hope the scan and treatment go well.

Mary Johnson said...

You pointed out all the things that I love about this quilt! Sorry that you're feeling so rough!

Catherine said...

Great work on those quilts....so glad that y'all could get together have some fun. I'm jealous.

Unknown said...

Hope you're back up to full strength real soon Tonya - until then don't push yourself, just take care - Paris will be here soon

Hanne said...

I really like your crumb blocks and maybe it is because I find stars, letters and exciting things to look for.
Wishing you all the best for the next days!

Lily Mulholland said...

It's like an 'I spy' quilt for grownups!

Get well soon Tonya - you seem to have the right attitude for recovery!

And LOL about your husband not actually cooking. Buggger!! But good that he has discovered the boulangerie. Just now needs the patisserie, chocolaterie, etc. :)

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, pretty closeups of your crumb quilt. Tonya, take care and get well soon.

YankeeQuilter said...

That crumb quilt just looks like a blast...I have bags and bags of crumbs which drives DH crazy! He can't understand why I'd save them when I have shelved full of fabric! Silly man.

Take care of yourself...sounds like your hubby is doing a good job of "foraging!"

Sio

Anonymous said...

The evolution of the crumb quilts has been a delightful narrative! Thanks for the block close-ups--I didn't realize they were composed of 4 smaller blocks until I saw them in detail.

Glad you at least feel like quilting. We'd really have to worry about you if you didn't! ;-)

Tazzie said...

Gosh Tonya, I hope you're going to be okay, that sounds so serious. Makes me just wanna zap over and take care of you. Be careful okay hon?
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Clare said...

I love Picard! Bit expensive, but worth every centime! Connection is so slow this morning so I can't view photos. Hang on in there and you aren't missing anything over here - weather is foul!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love the crumby close-ups! I almost feel like I got to go as well! Look after yourself! tracey

Finn said...

Hey Tonya, gosh I'm sorry to hear about your sudden rapid aging. If you had just stopped somewhere in the 60's we could hobble around and huff and puff together *G* Now my 66 years are feeling like a spring chicken!!! Seriously, DO take care of YOU. This whole path is a scary one, and changes in our body, regarding being alive are no small thing.

The crumb blocks and part orphans are just great!! I'm soooooooo glad you got to do this with Bonnie. I've made soooo many MAM blocks over the past 10 years, and yet I never get tired of them. I love the no planning and darn little cutting...just whack and sew. Even sizing them isn't that bad as long as you don't wait til you have hundreds..LOL

I like them block to block, all MAM..really mixed up and crazy but great quilting! And I've done a srippy version, with narrow lattice, and with wide lattice. Not sure I've ever used a plain block next to" setting tho. Might be fun to use broken dishes scrappy but controlled as a setting block. Hope you keep making more. I'm going to try for some wonky star, etc blocks in mine next time. Big hugs, Finn

Lucy said...

I love you r cyrmbblocks .. They look to me as a invitation to start right now :-))

Carol E. said...

I'm sending you super strong, positive, get well vibes. I hope they make it across the miles and help you feel better very soon!

Nines said...

Just popping in to see how you're doing- love the crumb quilt. Hope you're feeling a WHOLE lot better a WHOLE lot soon!!!! My great-grandfather used to call it "baching" when his wife was away. Make sure he finds the perfect restaurant to take you to when you join him. Hang in there.

Rae said...

Good luck on the 17th. Love Crumbs. It is so exciting.

Hedgehog said...

Just love these crumbs! Totally inspiring!