Sunday, September 10, 2006

Palestinian Tiles

I'm madly in love with these Palestinian tiles. That is, I *think* they're made by Palestinians, but I can't be 100% positive. I've only found one seller here in Cairo that carries this particular type and he only shows up at the monthly bazaars held at a local ex-pat center. I took photos today for my poor friends who actually have jobs and are locked in their office while the bazaar is being held. Rather than email them the pics, you guys get to see them now too, even tho I've already posted once today. (thanks for the French lessons)

I can hear my husband whimpering in my head: please don't buy any more, we've already packed out. But if I go back to the bazaar tomorrow, one of those evil eye charms might just come home with me. Forest Jane made me realize that I didn't keep any aside - they all went with the household goods.

This tile has a groovy frame that really makes it eye-catching.

Love the palm trees running along the top and the red good luck hands that have the eye in the middle (hard to see, but there).

I wanted you to see the detail of the girl riding the camel. I love how it looks like there is a chunk missing from the camel and she's standing up inside.

You can see the red hands with eyes much better here:

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm LOVING those tiles. If I were you, I'd have bought a bunch of them. Surely you can hide them somewhere... :-)

quiltpixie said...

the tiles are lovely... If you can't resist taking a charm or two home, just tell your DH'll you'll mail them from the airport to yourself as you leave -- he need not worry about the weight :-)

Carol E. said...

I love those fantastic tiles! Are you sure you can live without that camel one and the neat hands with the eye?

Eileen said...

I think the tiles are wonderful, I love the bright colors.
I don't know if you'll be able to receive it, but give www.Pandora.com a try for music. It's an online radio where you pick what type of music you want to listen to. I keep it in the background while I'm on the 'puter, and my sewing area is nearby so I can listen to it there also.

Tazzie said...

Do you think you'd make clanking sounds if you strapped the tiles to your body?? I'm thinking I'd risk it for some of those blue and white looking tiles in the middle there ... I'm a blue and white nut ... I can imagine myself in customs being patted down ... No officer, I'm not concealing anything *fingers crossed*
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Lily Mulholland said...

The workmanship, once again, is truly stunning. Look at those colours!!

YankeeQuilter said...

Thanks for the tip on how to get it to open! Love the wallhangings..they are much more sophisticated that the ones you showed earlier! Best of luck with the packing.
Siobhan

Cher said...

brilliant...hard to resist..guess I need to keep reading to see if you give in and buy a few more!