Sunday, September 17, 2006

If You Love It, Use It

I love how this looks. My shiny silver scissors and the beautiful blue and white scissor fob that Siobhan made for me.
For the longest time I didn't use them. The Gingher scissors cost a bundle. They're well worth it, but still not something you want to lose. I poked away using my pink handled childrens' scissors with the blunt tip, because after all, I was just cutting thread. The fob didn't fit onto it and besides, these beads are glass, they'll get broken.

Well how silly is all that. These scissors even cut thread divinely and they are beautiful to look at as well as use. And if a bead gets broken, I know how to replace it. Why save things for best - use what you love.

That's true for fabric too. All that fabric I have that I would have sworn 10 years ago that I would ALWAYS love? Well, turns out that just isn't so.

We did a practise run on packing suitcases last night. Rather, my husband did since he's the good packer. I still think it's going to be a tight squeeze trying to get everything in, but don't think we'll be overweight. Plus I'm getting a couple of boxes ready that friends will mail to us in Paris once we're there.

Speaking of which, we got our orders!!! Woohoo. Now our containers of belongings can start moving and maybe we can even get those plane tickets.

12 comments:

Eileen said...

I agree with you, things are meant to be used. I'm glad you're so excited about the move. Have you seen any photos of your place in Paris-how many rooms, etc. so you can have an idea of where you're going to put things?

Joyce said...

I agree too. Use nice things. I have some scissors that I have used for about thrity years. They still feel great in my hand. Paris will be soooo exciting. It is one of my favorite cities in the world and they have a HUGE garment district with tons of cheap fabric. Too bad I wasn't quilting when I was there. Try not to go too crazy when you get there!

quiltpixie said...

Oh absolutely use what you love! when we cleaned out my grandmother's house she had all kinds of towels, dishes, and perfumes put away that she'd received as gifts as they were "too good for everyday". She never got to enjoy them! You have nice stuff to enjoy it -- it doesn't mean be reckless with it, but use it....

Glad the orders finally came through. Maybe your containers will be in Prais before Christams :-)

Dianne said...

What a good thought, Tonya. I LOVE the scissor fob, too...never saw one before. I'll bet it makes it much easier to keep track of where they are.

I don't have a pair of Gingher's yet, but think I'll spring for some at some point. I'm also going to get a new sewing machine in Oz. Maybe I'll finally get a Bernina...if I don't cheap out, as I usually do!

D.

søren said...

i have a question about fabric scissors... so you personally would also cut thread with them? for some reason I'm always afraid to do that, although that makes no sense, since fabric is made of thread! and what about felt? I've always wondered what semi-quilt-fabric-like things are safe to cut.
your bead thingy is very nice. I made one of those extra long and then ran the wire through a knitting needle cover at the other end so I could put that over the end of my scissors.

Helen in the UK said...

It's sometimes hard, but it is lovely working with your 'best' tools!! Good luck with the move as it comes tangibly closer :)

Sweet P said...

I agree . . . use the things you have and love. DH taught me that when we chose our china. He loves to use it and once said to me, "Why do we have it if we don't use it?"

That reminds me, I have a scissors fob given to me nearly a year ago and I haven't used it. When I get home this afternoon, I am going to put it on my scissors. Thanks for a kick in the seat of my pants.

Judy said...

Oh you can finally relax now and know that nothing will change! That would have been the thing that got me the most of all...waiting for that last official word that we were actually going to Paris. Good that it finally came!

I have a fiob that I bought for my scissor and at first it was strange getting used to the thing hanging there but now I love it! I actually bought 2 incase I lost one! I use things too, crystal, china...everything is used or what good is it to have it!

Finn said...

Hey Ton, you are right on about using the things we love. We have them near us for a reason. And to me, it seems a sad day when some loved one, gets to sort everything out for disposal.
Sometimes the smallest things can give daily joy as we use them..not just the occasional bit as we hoard them.
So glad the orders came through...you're almost on your way!!! Hugs, Finn

Simonetta said...

Hi Tonya,the scissors are so nice!!!! Do excuse me for my curiosity, when you will be in Paris?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Glad everything is falling into place now! I still can't even imagine moving from country to country! Love the scissors fob siobhan made for you!

Lily Mulholland said...

Well done on both counts!