Sunday, April 25, 2010

Missing in Action

Sorry I've been neglecting ya'all in blogland. It's a confluence of events: a friend visiting (and then getting "stuck" here because of all the cancelled flights to Europe), a new camera and new imaging software, as well as the prior research into those purchases. 

Photoshop Elements 8 is kicking my you-know-what. I'm pleased with what I can do and yet frustrated by what I still can't. I've been working for hours to cleanly get rid of the modem in this picture with Lily but have not yet figured it out - it all looks too fake. Who knew having fun could be this much work. 


On the positive side, the camera is turning out some great photos. I just need to become a much better photographer. I got an entry-level digital SLR on the theory that I can take photos of my quilts good enough for publication. Of course so far I've just used it for cats (darn this thing focuses slow) and Miami Beach (more of that in a separate post).

Good thing my husband is an awfully good sport - I got the camera for his birthday. And the software. And the books to figure out both...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonya,
Glad "you" got such a nice camera, and that picture of our cat and her eyes are fantastic!!! Great work! I look forward to future photos.

Loris said...

Sweet Lily looks so soft. How nice of her to pose for you :-)I can't wait to see the rest of the crew in the new camera's precision. Pictures of cats, worth every penny.

Marit said...

Lovely picture, Tonya! Have fun figuring it all out!

laura said...

You must be caeful in your titling dear- I was really worried that Lily was missing. Enjoy "your" new camera :)

Teresa Rawson said...

Beautiful, beautiful...the modem in the background just diplays her feline computer skills...

Cheryl Cato said...

Nice photo, but you are right about learning to use new cameras & software... it's tough!

julieQ said...

Love your beautiful baby...glad you are figuring out the camera!

Sharon said...

Learning new things can make your head hurt! I'm sure you'll have it all sorted out soon.

Yes, we did miss you!

Oh, just a note....fortunately, quilts generally move much slower than cats do! Unless there's a cat under it, of course. ☺

jmb_craftypickle said...

Great post... how I can relate! My advice is to just do it for a while then take a break. When I have gone back to it I have been surprised what I can remember after I have spent some time away and then sat down again. Best of luck!!

Clare said...

Hi Ton. Glad you are feeling a bit better. What camera did you decide on? i'm thinking of upgrading. After spending a week in the Pyrennes with my point and shoot tiny camera with hardly any zoom, I'm seriously thinking of upgrading.

What was the the previous camera you had - the one you got in Paris?

Sew Create It - Jane said...

The more you practice with that camera..the better it will get. There are some excellent photo how-to websites that really explain photography well.

Simply Mari said...

she looks very like my cat, SOfia. It´s impressing.