Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Color Blue

This is not the kind of thing you're usually likely to run into on my blog, but I wanted to show you this stunning example of the color blue. On my last visit to the Louvre I was rushing through the paintings on my way to the good stuff, when this gorgeous glowing blue caught my eye.




Victoria Finlay describes in her book Color: A Natural History of the Palette how important it was for painters to get the best blue paint. I loaned out the book so I can't tell you more, but I do highly recommend reading it.

Anyway, just seeing this painting really brought that point home. Sometimes you just need that certain color, the exact right material, the extra bit of zing that will bring your quilt to life.

And by the way, no, it's not usually this lightly populated in the Louvre. This was out of the way of the high traffic areas (not near the Egyptian stuff and well past the Mona Lisa), mid-week, in low tourist season.

On a completely different note, I have to admit to being a bit cranky - not enough sun this last week. Sigh. Definitely feeling springy though and I have the increase in allergies to prove it. I have gotten quite a few more diamonds pieced though. I'm definitely having fun with that job and avoiding the boring part of putting it all together.

15 comments:

Clare said...

Pourquoi pas de soleil? It's been gorgeous down here. Last 2 days a bit miz but not too bad today. I'm sending it up to Paris so cheer up.

The light in that room is so clear and the floor looks like one of Mary J's Heartstrings quilts *s*

Fran said...

Now I wonder why that blue caught your attention? :-)
Just look at the lovely blue in the quilt and Egyptian vases in your preious post!
hugz,

jovaliquilts said...

What I don't understand is why, if that blue was available, you don't see it more often? It's an amazing color!

Sorry about your weather. We've had a brutal February and I just can't wait for winter to be over. At least the days are longer -- that helps a lot.

Donna said...

it is interesting to see how well that blue has weathered the ages -- still a very clear colour, lots of life... so many of the others look dark and while not muddy exactly, drab and dirty looking...

*karendianne. said...

Fantastic example! Excellent post on color. Artistic Brain Food Love, *karendianne.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Exactly what Victoria Findlay was writing about. I wonder when that wonderful picture was painted? People don't realize that the artist couldn't go to his neighborhood art and craft store for paint!

Christina said...

I was thinking the same thing as Fran - it's the same blue as you are wearing in your pic, and the same as you are working with on your quilt. It is captivating.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

That blue is electric. I am about to try your letters...on my SA quilt from my friends as soon as I finish up DD baby quilt.Can't wait to get started.YOur string quilt is wonderful.

Carol E. said...

That blue is certainly eye-catching. It's a gorgeous color!

Sharon said...

The entire painting is an excellent example of color leading your eye around the composition. The white near the baby (center of attention!) and the use of the orangey-red in 2 places to balance that arresting blue! And yes, that is the same color as you're using as the background for your string diamonds. BTW, they are looking really good!

jmb_craftypickle said...

Love this post...at our guild meeting a woman shared a quilt that she made that was rusts and oranges...not very inspired...but she added a thin blue border (similar color) to the larger border and it made the whole piece really "sing". Amazing what a bit of color can do, I won't talk of our sun here, it has been freakishly beautiful! Sending some your way---

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Thank you for sharing those photos. One day, I hope to get there myself and see it first hand. You're right, that color blue was definately needed!

Caron in Michigan
http://blog.caronmosey.com

Lea said...

Oh, You are so lucky to visit Louvre very often. I'm so jealous!*S*
Thank you for sharing very interesting paint pictures and story. I enjoy it.

Sandy's Quilter's Block said...

Thanks for showing us your photos. Blue just isn't used often enough.
Only a few more weeks until spring so hang in there.

Lily Mulholland said...

That's my favourite colour. And boy oh boy it sure works there! No wonder it caught your eye.