Saturday, May 05, 2007

Crumb Lost Love Quilted

I finished quilting Crumby Lost Love and sent it off in the mail to Bonnie the day before leaving Florida. Unfortunately for her, I decided that her part of the collaboration included the binding.

I finished the Color Thready as well, just couldn't remember if I ever showed you the final pic.


I'm very slowly sorting through the catastrophe that is my belongings. I'm feeling overwhelmed and taking tea/Sudoku breaks to de-stress. I often end up with a cat in my lap, so I figure it's good for them if I take breaks as well. Yes, that's my excuse.

I have been out of the house, but not with the camera. Running errands and my husband's boss' wife invited me out for a drive while she ran an errand of her own. She drove through the massive 12-point traffic circle around the Arc de Triomphe, which I didn't see because I was paying so much attention to the traffic. Definitely reaffirmed my decision that we are never getting a car here.

A view of the guest bedroom/Tonya storage area. The downside to my husband doing all the unpacking himself is that he laid claim to all the closet space in our bedroom, so this is the room where my clothes live, along with all the fabric, art supplies, holiday decorations...

All the pillowcases are crammed with quilts. Aren't those zebra striped cases awful? No wonder I got them on sale. I've since gone through the bags and pulled out the quilts that I want for the walls and rolled up the rest. Sweetie and I are supposed to be going to a store where we can buy the appropriate quilt hanging hardware today but he is currently napping with Pokey.

This is the fireplace in the living room. Definitely the focal point of the room and everything has to be fit in around it.

I wasn't about to waste any space. I've shelved all my quilt books in here. Those are Egyptian flag standards in the front.

Unfortunately (or perhaps not) all of my quilts didn't make it here, nor did all my quilt books. They should still be in storage back in the states - not lost.

A few links for you:

Dordogne Quilter Clare has finished a quilt top for her aunt, featuring free-pieced family names. She did a great job making a meaningful quilt and I can't wait to see the quilting.

Joyce finished her marvelous chickens quilt and is now going whole-hog free-piecing farm animals.

In the fairly new-to-me blog Taniwa, Tanya posts about living in Japan. I loved the entry about the toilets and the wisteria blooms are gorgeous. I am so impressed by her wonky word quilt top. Not only did she free-piece English words, she also went for it and did Japanese words as well. I thought they would be too hard, but she did it and very well.

And a quilt related question: the only way I can think of to get the creases out of my quilts is by washing them. Any other solutions?

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Or putting them between the mattress and the bed base for a while might help
On the driving note - you're probably very sensible not bothering with a car in Paris - I've not been but the scariest experience I've ever had was negotiating the motorway network round the outskirts of Lille at 5pm on a dark Friday winter rush-hour with three kids in the car going to pick DH up from the airport on a route I'd not driven - I'm ashamed to say my children learned some new expletives that day - but thanks to my 'skillful' driving lived to tell everyone wwhat they'd learned!!!

Dianne said...

The apartment looks great, Tonya. Slowly, all will find it's place.

Good heavens, who would want to drive around that horrible roundabout by the Arc de Triomphe? You'd need to have a death wish to attempt it I think!

How about putting each quilt in the dryer on low heat with a damp towel for a little while? That's worked for me sometimes...as long as the quilt's not too large.

Joyce said...

Great use for a beautiful fireplace. Hopefully nobody accidentally lights a fire in it! I hate washing quilts but it may be the only way. One blogger said she never folds quilts for storage. SHe crumpbles them and the creases are in different places every time so there is no wearing or fading on the fold. It would go against my grain though, and I think take up quite a bit more space.

Sassenach said...

Loving the pictures....keep 'em coming!

As for your quilts, either refold them on the bias or crumple them.

If you've the space, you could get a clothes drying rack and drape them over each other on it. If you've any humidity/rainy weather, that should work fairly quickly.

Fiona said...

Now I've never tried this but ... you know all of those holiday programmes tell you run a really hot shower and hang creased clothes in the bathroom when you get to your holiday destination? The theory being that steam will cause the creases to miraculously drop out. Would the same work for quilts?

Unknown said...

I roll small quilts but always fold the bigger ones in thirds, so that the inside (most defined) creases are in the horizontal direction. That way, when the quilt hangs, the weight straightens out any creases within a couple days.

If it's a bed quilt, I'd use the damp-towel-in-the-dryer method.

I wouldn't drive in Paris either. I remember the rather aggressive "driver etiquette" there all too well. Of course, those tactics aren't by any means limited to Paris drivers...

Tazzie said...

Hey there Tonya, I was just thinking maybe rather than washing the whole quilt, you could spritz the creases and then dry them flat? Just a thought ...
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Hanne said...

I would try to spray the quilts with water first and dry them hanging.

Clare said...

We did the Arc rond point once - never again. DH was driving and I had my eyes shut (Alex hid behind the seat). Thanks for the link. The quilting has gone hay wire. I put 2 words together that looked awful in stitching and meaning so I've had to unpick. Oh AND I've started using Perle 5 et je suis hooked! Love that fireplace and you've got as many quilt books as I have cookery ones.

Finn said...

It's looking good Tonya! Love the use of that gorgeous fireplace..perfect!
I'd try the damp towel in the dryer thing. Smaller towel for one or two smaller quilts, bath(?)size for a big quilt, low heat. And then maybe a dash of air tumble. I look forward to seeing more as you get unpacked. Hugs, Finn

atet said...

I love your fireplace -- maybe someday I will actually live someplace that has architetural (sp?) interest. Not that I don't love my boxy little home, but a girl can dream.

As for the quilts -- the only thing I can think of that hasn't already been suggested is that Downey fabric wrinkle release spray. It works on fabrics (LOVE it for getting those stubborn fold lines out or re-ironing a mispressed or missewn seam), but not sure how it would work on a thicker piece.

Oh, and one other thought -- um, why not iron them? I have a steamer/iron (not my usual one) that I got pretty inexpensively. It works pretty well too.

Carol E. said...

Tonya, I have been catching up with your blog but not commenting. I'm happy to see you and the cats are getting settled in. How are they doing with the floor noises?

maggie said...

beautiful new home. glad you are settled and with your hubby, again. after all that, who cares about creases in a quilt? but what i usually do, if i don't want to wash it and it's not archival, is to toss it in the dryer or dampen it and hang it outside on the line (with a sheet over it to protect from the sun, of course).

maggie
portland maine
usa

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

Oi! I loved Taniwa's bit about the toilets! Too funny, especially since I can relate to her experiences! I really like your take on the idea of crumb piecing and adding words to you Lost Love quilt, what a great concept!

Sweet P said...

What a gorgeous fireplace and what a unique way to show off your books. Looks like you are settling in to Paris well.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the fireplace is gorgeous! Not sure how bad the creases are in, but I find a slightly damp towel with the quilt tumbling in the dryer does it for mine.

Candy Schultz said...

I have good luck just steam ironing them. Mine always have creases in them but that usually works.

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh yay Tonya you've arrived safely in Gay Paris and so have your furry bundles.

Hope you eventually get some of your clothes into your bedroom! The cheek! LOL

If you get a chance, pop on over and see my first-ever attempt at freehand fans - I like them a lot :) Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Enjoy your discoveries.

(Art nouveau is my favourite style of architecture. If you love it, get thee to Barcelona for the weekend once you've settled in)

Candy Schultz said...

Amazon is promising me that Liberated Quilting is coming. they better be right.

Candy Schultz said...

Actually I just checked Amazon for used copies of Lib Quilt and they start at $78. If they don't send me my copy I don't think I will be getting one at that price.

Tanya said...

Thanks for mentioning me on your blog and the link. I've started the free hand fans for quilting. I think all the way through. (I tried doing some stitch in the ditch but too much twisting and turning.) I haven't gotten far so I'm wondering how I'm going to hold the whole quilt in one hand when I get to the inner parts. Having fun!
Love your colorful thready!