Friday, October 27, 2006

Crimson Halloween

Here's a Halloween quilt made in colors you wouldn't expect me to use. This is a small wallhanging that features creatures cut from the same fabric and then surrounded with random strips. And I actually quilted it in something other than fans: these are relaxed cross-hatches.

This quilt now lives with my aunt and uncle. You didn't expect these colors to be up in my house did you?

I've still got this cold hanging on. Thank goodness for tissues with lotion - otherwise my nose would probably have been sandpapered off by now. Despite the woe, I have recently done some quilting on Cranky Witch. I've finished the bottom row of the third spiral and I'm gaining speed - woohoo.

I went for my thyroid needle biopsy yesterday. The anticipation was worse than the procedure and I was lucky to have a fabulous doctor. Results will be in next week.

I ended up not taking my sewing machine in for its cleanup. Primarily because I was miserable and didn't want to leave the house last weekend (when I could have my husband take me in the car) but also because I was worried about how long it was going to take. Three weeks without the machine and it could have been even longer. What would have happened if I hadn't gotten it back in time for it to ship??? I also want to do some sewing, tho I haven't actually done any. One of these days...

14 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon! I know what you mean about the sewing machine. After moaning about not having one for months I have yet to to use it now that it is unpacked!
Siobhan

Angie said...

Glad the biopsy wasn't as bad as you anticipated. And I do hope you get over that crud soon...not fun, not fun AT ALL. :D I happen to love the colors in that quilt, so if you feel the urge to do another one along those lines, I can send you my snail mail addy!!! ROFL I have never had my machine in for it's checkup--bad bad bad--but I just don't want to be without it!!! But what if my Bernie breaks down due to me not letting it go longer enough for maintenance..:(

dot said...

Glad to hear the biopsy went well. I do like the Halloween quilt, even though they don't seem like Halloween colors to me. At first I thought it was a Christmas quilt. Silly me. Hope you get better soon, I think I am trying to catch that awful bug.

Nancy said...

LOL! No - not your usual colors at all. In fact at first glance I saw a Christmas quilt with the red and green. And then when I looked closer I see the ghost and skeleten etc where I would have expected them to be Santas and snowmen. I like it. It's different for sure. :-)

I'm sorry you're still sick. I'm better but this will probably be another "lay around and watch videos" kinda weekend.

I've never taken my machine in for service and I realized a few days ago that I've had it now for almost 8 years. OOH, Bad Nancy! I do clean it regularly and have had David oil it (even thought it's one of those that's not supposed to need oiling.) I guess I'd better bundle it up and carry it in this next week. Even if it hasn't been used in several weeks I really don't want to be without it. Whine. Whine. Whine...Wonder if my backup machine still works? It hasn't been used in 10 to 12 years.

Finn said...

Hey Ton, time to get over that darn cold!! Sorry to hear it's still hanging on.
It's a fun quilt. Definitely not your colors, but good colors just the same. I love that the size of the focus fabric varies..*VBS* Bet your aunt and uncle love it!
Get well soon and enjoy this state side time, Hugs, Finn

Lois R. said...

Tonya, I LOVE when you do that -- take a novelty fabric and make it the focus of your quilt. What a neat idea. I also love how you randomly surrounded the focus fabrics with strips.

Hope you feel better soon. I had that cold and it was awful! Stuck with me for weeks!

Judy said...

Glad the biopsy went well and it is was worse for me to anticipate than actually have it too. Hope they are quick with the results coming back for you!

I told you before that I have never had mine in for a professional cleaning. I clean it myself. Take off the upper side and clean and oil, and follow the "how to clean your machine" tutorial at: http://homepage.mac.com/mbgoodman/clean/. It's worked really well so far and no problems!

Hope you feel better soon!

His Office, My Studio said...

I love the quilt. The colors are very mellow. Now I have and idea what to do with some fabric squares I have been saving.

Happy to here you biopsy was easier then you thought it would be.

Hedgehog said...

Great quilt! Hope you're feeling better soon and that the results next week are good news.

Unknown said...

Ireally like your halloween wall hanging even if it isn't your colours :o)

sewprimitive karen said...

Hope you feel better soon, Tonya!

quiltpixie said...

that halloween quilt is much tamer than the style and colours I associate with you....

Tazzie said...

You're right Tonya, if I saw that quilt somewhere, I couldn't say I'd think it was yours. It's a great one tho, I love the fabric you've chosen.
Good call not taking the machine in, I can pick mine up today, and I haven't liked these few days at all!
I hope the result of the biopsy is what you're hoping for, and I'm glad it wasn't as icky as you anticipated.
Have a great weekend
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yup, I like this halloween one! I like the black in it! Figures huh!