Sunday, October 17, 2010

Starburst center

Whee, V of Bumble Beans Inc sent back my String Lone Star. Here is Pokey holding it down:


I made all the small stringed diamonds and assembled the big diamonds in 2008 while I was living in Paris. They sat and sat because I just wasn't sure how to put them together. While V was visiting, we got the pieces out and auditioned these orange shades. V, who loves making Y-seams, then made all the background pieces and then joined it all together for me. Huge thank you - she did a smashing job.

I tried to think of a name that had a star connotation as well as brightness. I came up with Starburst after the candy (which I bought just to give you this image):


And to give you a better perspective of the size:


Too bad I don't have fun Halloween pedicured toes like Barb.

I learned a lesson about paper-pieced diamonds - remove the paper before putting them together:


It's much harder to remove because of the angles, as compared to straightforward paper-pieced squares.

I think I'm going to add a border to this, although it's strong enough to stand on its own. I'll do some components assembly and then decide.

For a complete change of topic, I'm so disappointed in this fall tv season. Pretty bleah on the networks. Tried and disliked so many, including:
  • Hawaii Five-0 - so tired of cop shows
  • Undercovers - the leads are pretty, but oh so dull
  • Detroit 1-8-7 - love Michael Imperioli and the soundtrack, but ugh, so predictable. I'm watching it thinking how is it that the newbie who's wife is expecting a baby didn't get shot during the hostage crisis and then blammo. Yep, definitely called it...
  • The Defenders - loved Jim Belushi and Jerry O'Connell but man, I hate shows that take place in a courtroom. If they could have down more behind the scenes (ala Damages) I'd have been all for it.
  • Law and Order: Los Angeles - that whole ho hum cops and lawyers thing
  • The Event - completely unappealing. trying so hard to be Lost (look, we even have a plane!)
What I am actually watching:
  • Project Runway - of course!!! can I just say what a bleah runway show that was this week? black black black black. there are other colors people!!! I thought the judges chose the right person to go home (that really was the third time we saw the same outfit!)
  • Top Chef: Just Desserts - incredibly watchable. Who knew pastry chefs could be such divas, not to mention you shouldn't cast someone who is actually unhinged. The only bad thing about the show is that it makes me crave sweets.
  • Terriers on FX. Terrible name since it sounds like a show about the Westminster Dog Show, but it has nothing to do with dogs.  Instead the title refers to the two down-and-out unlicensed private investigators getting into all sorts of trouble. It's got lots of heart, pathos, running stories, but you really can just jump in. Donal Logue has been my sweetie ever since the Tao of Steve  - he's wonderful to watch. In some ways the show reminds me of Veronica Mars - highly recommend you try this one out.
  • Castle - I've really surprised at just how much I like this one, it's so grown on me. Fun mystery and it's lighthearted. Doesn't count as a cop show since it has the marvelous Richard Castle mystery writer as one of the leads (Woohoo, Nathan Fillion!)  [note: I'd send you to the official website but it has an ad that starts up automatically and can't be stopped - how obnoxious is that!]
  • Chuck - I've been really disappointed this season. I want a fun, light-hearted show and it's determinded to be more serious. I want more Buy More and less relationship whining! More Jeffster and Casey paired up with Morgan. oh, and fill in Ellie already so that a great character isn't always in the dark whining.
  • Mad Men - truly been some series high points this season. The penultimate episode had too much Betty and Sally (I so don't care) - here's hoping they move really far away!
  • Fringe - the show is never quite as good as I want it to be, but still lots of fun.

So I should really think about getting chores done now. Here's another Pokey pic to hold you over until the next blog post:

53 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

I can hear my brain circuits crackling on this one! Wowie kazowie! It's great to see the close up of your strings. Love the name too. This is just an incredible quilt!

As for TV, I don't have cable, so I rent old seasons of Mad Men. Can't wait for the next! The only shows I've tried and liked this season are House, The Mentalist and Lie To Me. Like the psychological dramas with humor.

Marit said...

This is a fantastic quilt top. It feels like a vitamin D bomb, just looking at it! What a great team you and Victoria makes! Pokey does a very good job as a presenter, too...
; )

LizA. said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE starburst! The little bits of color scattered in the background are just perfect!

If you're a Nathan Fillion fan, have you ever seen Firefly? It was a one season series about 8 years ago with a followup movie. Part sci-fi, part space western, check it out.

9patchnurse said...

That quilt just takes my breath away!! That giant star ROCKS and V's orange 'made' fabric is genius. Pokey agrees with me too. I can't wait to see the finished product. Your halloween quilts and decorations are so fun. I have 3 wall quilts and a runner and thought I had a lot, lol.

Lesly said...

Wow! Words fail! That star is just magnasplendent! What a team!

Loris said...

Love your Starburst..strings, color, name...all of it. Great job! and a big thank you to V for your Y seams.
As to your list of shows...kind of agree...only watch Defenders and we are still on the fence about it. Castle, however, is a definite hit with us. Nathan Fillion is wonderful with Becket (ah! don't know her real name. We are also checking out The Whole Truth tho it was pre-empted this week. I think I will check out Terriers...tho you're right, it sounds like a dog show :-)
thank you for the Pokey pic...can't go too long without seeing those amazing blue eyes. Purrs and head scratches.

Lisa said...

absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claudia said...

Beautiful quilt! (and cat)

DianeY said...

Love your Srarburst quilt-so full of color!

Maybe you have to live in Hawaii to love 5-0 - constantly trying to figure out where they are & wondering how they get from one place to another so quickly! And grateful they are employing a lot of local people in this economy! I love the banter between McGarrett & Danno-such a change from the old 5-0!

Chris Daly said...

YUMMY! I love this quilt! We have been watching Running Wilde and really like it. It reminds us of Arrested Development. If you haven't seen Arrested Development do take time to rent it!

Sujata Shah said...

The star!!! I love the quilt. Love the close up shot too!
TV? I watch Project Runway and any cooking shows my daughter watches. Oh and my very latest favorite.. The Modern Family. Not a big fan of cop shows or the law.

Sarah said...

LOVE this quilt!

Sandra said...

Both are so lovely. Your patchwork is so well done!

Sandra :)

AnnieO said...

Yowsa, Yowsa! Incredible how this is pieced and staged into the star. REally terrific. Kudos to both you and V for coming up with this!!! Now I want some Starburst candies too.

Project Runway has been a but hit and miss this year but I've watched a fair but of it. I lost interest in The Event after two shows, and Hawaii Five-O after one. That's the extent of my television watching this season!

Belgin Pancar AKÇAY said...

beautiful,Beautiful quilt!:)))

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Tonya,
I love your starburst quilt - the colors are like a starburst - exploding all over the quilt in al rich glorious colors. I will look forward to seeing how you quilt it.

As for Fall television- We watch:
Castle and love it,
Mad Men and have enjoyed it from the beginning
The Mentaliste- mixed reviews but I was a fan of Simon Baker from the guardian days.
The Defenders is not too bad either- it has some good moments
and Rubicon which is also on AMC- it is our current favorite.
We also watch the Good Wife- and are big fans of it

I am not much for reality shows but have watched Dancing with the Stars and Battle of the blades ( a Canadian show that has Hockey players paired with figure skaters to raise money for charity)

Most of the rest of the time - hockey is on the tube and watched as my husband is a big fan - he also has a hockey blog... Its a Canadian thing LOL

Thanks for sharing your yummy star quilt- Star quilts are my favorite design.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Marj said...

Love, love, love Starburst and Pokey looks sooo goood on it!

Kristin Shields said...

OMG! This quilt is amazing- so bright and powerful! Starburst is the perfect name. I don't remember it at all, so it was a big surprise to see. Can't wait to see how you finish it. Do you plan to hand quilt?

Allie said...

This quilt is so gorgeous, it has wonderful movement through it - and I think Starburst is the perfect name for it, looks like little bits are flying off it. Very inspiring!

Alice said...

My goodness - it spins! I really like the way Victoria's background echoes the movement in your star.

sewprimitive karen said...

That quilt looks like the next Quiltmania cover. It is gorgeous. Pokey is so good to look at the camera. Rembrandt always, always turns her head away.

3anklebiters said...

fantastic quilt! the name is beyond perfect. you should submit this for publication, you've documented the entire thing very well. as for removing the paper, have you tried lightly spraying it with a water mist bottle first? the paper softens and pulls away much easier. as for television - you are right on! i'm done with cops, medical shows and most of the reality shows, i just don't like some of the people they try to portray as "the rest of us."

Kristin L said...

I am so loving Starburst! I can't wait to see what you do to it next. I was dissapointed with teh borders on my blue string star, but that hasn't kept me from happily sleeping under it for the last three years or so!

I keep watching Hawaii 5-0 since I live in Hawaii. It is so over the top and the cadence of the dialog is often inauthentic, but still, there's a sort of cheer for the locals draw to it for me. I can totally see how the show as a whole would fall flat for everyone else though. Speaking of cheering for teh locals, I am so glad that Andy is still IN on Project Runway. This has been a completely bizarre season, but I'm hanging on watching -- for Andy. Just Desserts has a bit too much drama for my tastes -- not nearly as professional as normal Top Chef seems to be, but I love watching it anyway. Fringe -- yes! I'm actually enjoying this deeper exploration of the other side. It keeps it from being too much of an X-Files knock off.

heather said...

I love the starburst. I made a miniature lone star once as part of a larger star quilt. I just love that pattern. I might just have to make a bigger one.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Starburst is FANTASTIC and AMAZING and UTTERLY TOTALLY 100% WOWSERS!!!!!!!!

And Pokey is gorgeous as always . . .

GREAT post!

Unknown said...

This collaborative effort between the two of you is just amazing!! And I think that Pokey is definitely approving of this gorgeous quilt!! The name is very fitting too. Love Starburst!!

Cindy said...

I absolutely love the starburst quilt! Putting the starburst candy on it was a great idea so we can see the scale of things...only problem is, now I'm thinking I want candy! Can't wait to see how you finish it off.

Teresa said...

Love Starburst! It just makes me smile and feel good all over!
As for TV, I so hear you. I hardly watch anything anymore, and I was a medical - cop show junkie.
If you like MadMen, then you should check out another AMC series - Breaking Bad. There are 3 years of back "issues" to go through before the new season starts again in March? I think.
It is one show that is not predictable and will have you on the edge of your seat. Promise!

Clare said...

So so ............... speechless. It is lovely to see it again after all this time.

Lynda said...

Who would ever have thought your fabulous star would be happy with such a bright background! It looks perfect! (On the other hand, the star is s o gutsy, a cream or blue background would have let it dominate centre stage, whereas the orange/yellow makes it have to work a bit harder and enhances the whole top!)

Mayleen said...

I love that Starburst quilt top! Looking forward to seeing what kind of border you put on it.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

I'm sure picking the paper out was a pain, although with that mean seams, I think leaving it on made for super easy construction working with such large pieces... I had no problems with stretching... Beautious!!! It was a dream to work on... I love it!! Super job on piecing all those bits to make that star...

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic way to use all those noodles I,ve been collecting, you are a gem!!!!!!

vernie

kwilta said...

Dare I ask, what size did you make each diamond?

Marj said...

Saw your book on the list of books coming to my local quilt shop this December. How exciting!

MerryCrafty said...

Your Starburst is AMAZING! I am so impressed. Your color choices are outstanding. Thanks for brightening my day and inspiring me.

Barb said...

love it -
so sad mad men is ending :(
did you watch rubicon?
are you going to watch walking dead?
I agree about fringe.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Love your quilt! So much color - great name!!

Barbara said...

Did you know that the books Castle writes on the show have been published? I saw Naked Heat at Border's a couple of weeks ago. The author picture is the actor who plays Castle. My library also has the first book mentioned in the series. I haven't read them yet and I don't know who really wrote them. It was a hoot to see the book in a big display at the store.

Patty said...

I love Terriers! I'm glad I jumped in early in the season so I know what's going on.

And your quilts is amazing!

KateKwiltz said...

WOW. That top is a-MAZE-ing! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! And Pokey's pretty gorgeous, too!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh wow! I just love that string pieced Lone Star! I've loved it ever since you started it in Paris.

Cher said...

well, what a grand finale to your diamonds...and a true pal in V to take on that -and love doing it as well...I am catching up with your latest post and will go on at some point to older stuff! it's just been too long away from blogland

YankeeQuilter said...

Woo hoo...love this quilt! the mixed orange setting is just what it needed!

Browndirtcottage said...

Knock Knock....Who's there? Orange....Orange who?...Orange you glad you have such wonderful 'eye' candy to look at there!! I AM!!!!
Your 'star' is FAB!

Laura said...

Fabulous quilt, one of my favorites! I am hooked on Terriers also. It is so fun to watch. And I agree with the Fringe comment, I keep watching but I also keep wanting it to get better.

Andie Johnson said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I have no words. So amazing. So beautiful. Holy cow, woman - great work!

Sharon said...

Holy dogs (if you'll excuse the term!) - that is such a mind-bendingly bright & beautiful quilt! What juicy colors. It knocks my socks off! And the name is perfect! How wonderful of V to make the setting pieces. I love her patchwork - those little shots of random color are amazing.

Pokey, as always, is the perfect model. I wish my kitties would look at the camera.

Anonymous said...

I Love how you've interpreted a traditional quilt design into something so modern.

The colors and the string piecing remind me of French impressionist paintings.

No other background would have done it justice to this star. It's beautiful.

Gail :)

Quiltjane said...

That is an amazing star. I love the scrappy look made into 45 degree diamonds and pieced into an 8 pointed star. Where do I begin with that awesome background. WOW

Sassenach said...

Brilliant! (In both senses of the word.)

I was disappointed in 5-O, though my husband likes it. Try Bluebloods, which airs on Friday night. There's some depth in the plotting, including some opposing points of view about crime and punishment that are actually thought provoking instead of screechy lecturing.

Joanne said...

Love this quilt ... is your cat a Ragdoll cat? She is beautiful. Do your kitties help you sew ... mine do ... hahaha.

Katie said...

This is an impressive quilt!! A lot of patience and love went into this.