Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Rules

The incredibly talented Lynne of The Patchery Menagerie and I had a swap. So I am the lucky recipient of this The Rules for Tonya:


It's a quote from Katharine Hepburn: If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun. Isn't that a perfect quote for liberated unruly quilters?

The letters are 4 1/2 inches high which gave Lynne more room to play. Check out the cats:



She found a way to represent each of my four cats. Lily and Pokey:


Bibi and Howler:


Love the skeletons. Perfect for a quilt for me.

This all started when Lynne sent me photos of a secret swap project she was working on for Helen of Patchy Work of Mini Grey. (fun blog - well worth a look) 

This is Helen's Obey the Rules. And check out this post in which Lynne describes drawing the letters on graph paper and then playing to get just the look that she wanted. She has a more controlled way of approaching UnRuly Letters - I always enjoy seeing different ways of doing them. Anyway, Lynne describes making my version of the quilt here.

In exchange, I sent Lynne a quilt top made with extra L-O-V-E letters I made in Paris while I was sewing my Rumspringa quilts. A couple of I's snuck in there as well - I made those for LIVE when Pokey was so sick last year. Lynne asked for a quilt that was very "me" and this certainly qualifies.



Speaking of Pokey, I know I'll hear about it if there isn't a kitty photo in this post, so here you go:

27 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

Cute Cute! When I saw the title to your post I thought is Tonya sick? She does not follow the rules!! I love quotes. I put them all over my room when I was teaching and the kids loved it. My favorite is by John Lennon "Life is what happens when you are making other plans"

Needled Mom said...

I can see Rules quilts popping up everywhere. So cute.

Stephanie said...

Wonderful Quilt. It's so colorful and original.

Stephanie
blackcoffeequilts.blogspot.com

Jennifer D said...

That quilt is amazing, inspiring...genius.
I adore the clever way your kitties are included.

Pokey is lookin' sweet.

I think I might quilt in a very liberated way today!

Anonymous said...

very cute saying..and your lettering is so nice! Love the kittens!

Oleander said...

wow, i can't believe she did your four cats, how sweet. Nice to have such a personal quilt made just for you :)

ps. Pokey is gorgeous! I hope she's doing good these days, how old is little miss pokey anyways? (If you don't mind my asking).

Quiltdivajulie said...

The most fun part about this is that I was included in pre-release info on both of Lynne's amazing Rules quilts ...

LOVE the one you made for your swap ... yes, it is VERY you!

Hugs!

Marit said...

What a great swap - couldn't choose a favorite between the two tops. Have fun quilting it!

Trudi said...

How brilliant is that! Love it!

Millie said...

I'm so glad you like it. I had a lot of fun doing it, trying to find ways to "break" the rules, and include cats in sneaky places.

Love my quilt too!

Kristin Shields said...

Wonderful quilt and I just love that quote!

deborah said...

Love the way the cats were incorporated into the fun quilt with the perfect saying! I think I will paint a 'subway' art sign with that quote. Scratches for your kitty:)

AnnieO said...

Kitties sneak into quilts in the most surprising ways! I read on Lynn's blog how she graphed everything out and made up her font. It turned out terrific! What a great gift.

Carol E. said...

Love it!! Great quote, too. When I saw your post title I thought you were starting a new class/challenge and had to come see what it was about.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Great quilt and I love the quote!

Loris said...

Fabulous swap! Love Pokey's blue eyes :-)

Barb said...

great quilt. I love how she organized the colors. Fun quote!

Kim D. said...

That's an adorable swap quilt. Your kitty has such beautiful eyes, great photo.

Cheryl Arkison said...

All in all, it is a great group of quilts.

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh my freakin' heck, it's really you!
Quilts of all things. Never would've guessed it, but that's fun.
I used to love quilting, but now I only run over to our local quilters without borders when I get the chance.
You know who I am -- just think about it for 2 seconds and you'll figure it out.
Don't identify me by name here; I have to be nameless on the blog because I teach school.
But I'll e-mail you.
Oh my. It's been years. I'm so glad to find you again.
*virtual hug* :)

Carol E. said...

Hey, T. I know I have strayed off the topic of quilting at my blog lately, but today's post is a whole bunch of quilts. I think you should come take a peek.

Chris Daly said...

What a wonderful quilt top. Lynne put so much thought into it. I'm sure you will treasure it.

Anonymous said...

That quilt is awesome! How cool that she incorporated all four of your cats, plus skeletons for good measure. I loved reading Lynne's making-of story, too. Lucky you!

-Holly

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

fabulously cool. rules? what rules?;-)

Browndirtcottage said...

Two awesome quilts from two awesomely unruly quilters!!!!!!!!!

Sharon said...

I think Lynn's quilt is so incredible! She did an awesome job...the quilt is so much fun, and so YOU! Love the inclusions of the kitties! She's a clever one! I've enjoyed reading her blog about how she made it too.

I really like your Live/Love quilt too. It's very YOU too!

Pokey is looking good. Give her some hugs and scritches for me!

Lynda said...

The letters are fabulous and the sentiment is perfect!